Home

St. Louis's The Hill
St. Louis’s The Hill

Click above to purchase this book for $20.00
$9 from the sale of each book from this site goes to the Italian American Heritage Corporation. Requires a PayPal account.

Book Description: The Hill was named for its proximity to the highest point in St. Louis. Italians, mainly from Northern Italy, immigrated to the area starting in the late 1800s; however, by 1910, Sicilians were also immigrating to the Hill. Agencies in Italy were employed by mining companies and other industries to help Italian citizens gather all the required documentation for immigration. Italians came to the Hill because of its proximity to the factory and the mines and because it was a district that allowed them to purchase land and build a home. The Parish of St. Ambrose was founded 1903. After the original church was destroyed by fire, the new church was completed in 1926. The Hill has been home to some of St. Louis’s nationally known residents, including baseball heroes Joe Garagiola and Lawrence “Yogi” Berra.

The first Columbus Day Parade Committee organized on November 11, 1866 and was incorporated on December 6, 1866 it is composed of many St. Louis Italian-American Organizations, who joined toghether to ensure that there will always be a Columbus Day Parade.
The first parade was organized by the Fratellanza Society in 1867 through the effort of an Italian settlement in downtown St Louis. The parade route started downtown and terminated at the statue of Chistopher Columbus (donated by Henry Shaw) in Tower Park. For many years it has been held on ” The Hill” .

Though the parade is always the highlight of the Columbus Day celebration, many Italian Organizations take this opportunity to promote the philosophy and culture of their heritage by partecipating in a Festa after the parade. The Festa is traditionally held in Berra Park.